Sonntag, 18. November 2007

Italy's Hampden shame ...

I predicted Italy to win last year's World Cup. Against much criticism, I defended them as rightful winners when I was proven right. They had the best defense of the tournament, without question, and scored the goals when they mattered (most painfully, from where I sit, at least, against Germany in the semi-final). As you can see on the left, I supported Italy in the final and was rather happy when they won here in Berlin.
That said, tonight I am truly bitter: Italy did not deserve that free kick in stoppage time against Scotland. And Scotland, after beating France twice, would have so deserved qualifying for EURO 2008. It's a tragedy. It's a travesty. It's truly painful to see my dear Scots have to settle for the all too familiar "beautiful loser" role. I was very upset when Alex McLeish, Scotland's coach, left Hibs for arch-rivals Rangers. But he has done very well for Scotland. May he continue his work with this young and promising team. May Scotland play in the World Cup in South Africa. May justice, at last, be done.

1 Kommentar:

Shane hat gesagt…

Daniel, now you know the pain we Australians feel as another team clearly robbed by those good-for-nothin', diving, cheating Italians! Think back to the World Cup last year, the dying seconds of the quarter finals - oh the agony, the injustice, and now they go and do it all over again to the Scots. The world truly is a cruel place...